DX7 Repair and Mods

The first thing to go on the dx was the backup battery.  A this was soldered in to the board it was replaced with a battery holder.  This board had to come out on order to get a good clean connection.

battery

So when the mains transformer stopped working 3 months later I was pretty disappointed. I found a suitable transformer at RS.  This was soldered onto bread board with the connecting wires. (Probably not a text book way to do this!).  This was then screwed into the existing mounting holes.

This pic shows the initial test.                                     And then fully mounted. 1-dxoldtrans 2-dxpsufiniNow with everything working I was getting back into FM big time.   I stumbled upon a software update from a guy on ebay which also gave you 4 banks of onboard RAM.  This involved soldering some wires to the legs of in place ic’s. IMG_0441

And whilst being obsessed with DX7 ebay searches I also found a back lit lcd replacement for it.  As I was spending much more time programming sounds this seemed to good to be true. Before:                                                                                    After: 3-dxscreenb44-dxnulcd