The first thing to go on the DX7 was the backup battery.
As this was soldered into the board, it was replaced with a battery holder. This board had to come out in order to get a good clean connection.
So when the mains transformer stopped working 3 months later
I was pretty disappointed.
I found a suitable transformer at RS. This was soldered onto bread board with the connecting wires. (Probably not a text book way to do this!). This was then screwed into the existing mounting holes.
Now with everything working I was getting back into FM big time. I stumbled upon a software update from a guy on eBay which also provides 4 banks of onboard RAM. This involved soldering some wires to the legs of in-place ic’s.
And whilst being obsessed with DX7 ebay searches, I also found a back-lit LCD replacement. As I was spending much more time programming sounds this seemed to good to be true.